Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Georgia Home - Part I

After living in a box in Philadelphia, I have come to appreciate a few basic household amenities, which I would now (after being deprived for over two years) also define as luxuries. Being able to do the basic every day tasks with ease makes these common household appliances some of the best inventions.
I absolutely adore my dishwasher. Not only did both of my apartments in Philly lack dishwashers, but they also lacked the needed counter space to do anything. You can imagine how much space was left once the drying rack was on the counter. Mom told Steven a story this weekend about my love of washing dishes when I was little. She would set me up in the kitchen while she was cooking and I would wash already clean dishes and make a huge mess. I am not sure where this passion went, but I can tell you that I no longer find pleasure in washing dishes and love that this machine does it all for me.
Not only do I have a dishwasher, but I also have a full size stove that all of my cooking dishes fit into. In order to demonstrate the difference...my pizza stone would not fit into my old stove with the metal rack under it. Without the rack, it would barely slide into the stove. You can imagine how much fun it was to pull out at the end.

Last, but not least, is the ice maker. A number of people would attest to my dislike of refilling the ice tray. I am not sure what it is, maybe it is the tediousness of the task or the fact that it is never ending, but I would constantly leave the ice trays empty until I completely ran out. Diet Coke is just not the same without ice and it was always a sad day to drink it out of the can. It was a vicious circle that has now come to the end with this handy kitchen appliance.

It truly is the simple things in life! Next up on A Georgia Home...a bigger picture of what the new apartment looks like.

8 comments:

Amie said...

Yes....your kitchens in Philly always were very small.

It is funny that you bring up your need for ice. When your mom came to visit she could not believe that we only had once ice tray that froze about 10 cubes at a time. Then after she left, I noticed there was a bowl full of ice in my freezer! Haha. Like Mother, Like Daughter!

Leigh Leigh said...

Yes, she has passed her obsession for ice on to me. I love that she made you a bowl full of ice! I drive her crazy at home when I don't empty the trays and then refill them.

Anonymous said...

Guess what, Leigh; I apparently have none of the simple things.... Can't imagine how wonderful an icemaker would be. We keep about 8 ice trays in our freezer at all times. I haven't had a dishwasher in years, and when my 1955 stove got down to one very small burner that worked, I traded up to a friend's old stove from his basement that HAD 3 working burners when I got it.... Oh, and my counter space? An old door! Do you have room for 5 more in your apartment?

Anonymous said...

By the way, I can't wait for Part II!

Gale said...

Boy, you are moving on up. I did love the Pilly apartment I stayed at thou. Best part was getting up in the morning & seeing our car was still there & no windows broken out!!!!!! : )
Can't wait for your next post & seeing the apartment in person someday.

Anonymous said...

Were you any where near the tornado?

Anonymous said...

oops my comment (above) came out as being anonymous!

Leigh Leigh said...

I live about 10 miles north of where the tornado hit. It was pretty scary though. Steven was heading home from the airport and missed colliding with it by about 10 minutes. I didn't even know it was that serious until I turned on the news and talked with him. We were out of town the next day and so missed all of Saturday's crazy weather.