Monday, April 21, 2008

Recess Rejects

As some of you may know, the folks have been playing on a kickball team in Columbia for a while now. When they started playing the league was organized by WAKA (World Adult Kickball Association). After some time people became frustrated with how little they were doing for the players as compared to the money that they were paying to play. A group approached the recreation centers in Columbia and now play through them with improved services for a better price. They are currently playing for a team called FOOTLOOSE. As a team they are becoming closer and have been doing things together off the field. A lot of the team members came to a party they threw after the holidays and they just ventured to the beach together last weekend.

(sorry for the really bad picture, but at least you can see them in their uniform)

After moving to Atlanta and having a certain someone on the road way too much, I realized that I was going to have to make my own friends. Following in my parents footsteps, I decided to join GoKickball as a free agent. For $51 I get 8 weeks of fun and a team tee shirt. The Recess Rejects have picked me up and welcomed me as one of the three new players on the team. I was a little nervous at first, mainly about having to throw the ball accurately and be an effective player in the field, but now feel pretty comfortable and have a lot of fun playing the game that I have not played since elementary school.

As compared to Columbia's one league, the Go Kickball organization in Atlanta is huge. There are 13 leagues with any where from 6 to 15 teams each. You can choose almost any day of the week to play and can choose between competitive leagues and those that are a little more laid back.

We also have a league bar (Mellow Mushroom) that we visit after each game for some food and discounted league drinks. We most often order the house pizza and a kickball pitcher (of beer).

My team is currently 2-0-2 and in 6th place in our league. We play the number 2 team this week. They have won all four of their games. I just hope that we can pull out a win.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Leigh Leigh!! I'll be rooting for you from afar!

Gale said...

Hey, I was going to leave the message "GO Leigh Leigh" and I was beat. Hope you have a lot of fun and meet a lot of great people. Can you get Steven on as a sub?

Leigh Leigh said...

We actually have an extra tee shirt from someone who signed up and then backed out. He could wear that shirt and play, but he is hardly ever in town when we play. He has only been to one game with me. I am hoping that he may be able to join in during one of the May games.

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for the name of the team bar to be mentioned. I know some people play adult kickball for the exercise,but I have to imagine leagues were invented for an excuse to eat pizza,wings and drink beer.
Look at that picture of your parents and tell me that didn't have a few.........pizzas.

The Mad Tern said...

I remember when we were kids. There was this kid named Victor in our neighborhood who was in second grade and weighed 118 pounds. When he was up to bat, Mick would roll the ball. Victor would kick it right back to Mick. Mick would stand and watch while Victor gave it his all lumbering to first. Mick would then haul off and wing the ball at Victor, hitting him in the head and sometimes knocking him right on his butt, just before he touched first. I always felt bad for Victor, but it was hilarious and I couldn't help but laugh with everyone else.

Also, gel-oh, ask Mick if he remembers "Bo Peep".

Leigh Leigh said...

We are definitely are not playing for the exercise. This is more of an adult version of the game where everyone uses foul language when they screw up and then go and drink a beer on the sidelines. You even have a few who carry it onto the field with them.

Anonymous said...

I have heard stories about "Bo Peep". I heard he used to hit HR's over the telephone poles in left at Rees Field.
I am very happy to hear LA's update on the kickball. I would be worried if it was taken too seriously.

Amie said...

This is so much fun! How did you hear about your team...do you know anyone on it?

The Mad Tern said...

Bo Peep was huge, and it looked like it was all fat, but he could hit a ball so far that we'd have to stop the game until we were all done laughing. Some of it, however, may have had something to do with Dave Oppedisano serving up perfect gopher balls.